Sportorn is Designed to Keep You Up-to-Date with Everything You Need to Know About the World of Sport.
⎯ 《 Sportorn • Com 》
Manchester United seal Sergio Reguilon deal to solve left-back woes
Manchester United seal Sergio Reguilon deal to solve left-back woes
Sergio Reguilon has joined Manchester United on a season-long loan from Tottenham Hotspur, with Erik ten Hag suggesting his fifth summer signing could be parachuted in for a debut at Arsenal on Sunday. The Spanish left-back became United’s second signing of deadline day after Turkish goalkeeper Altay Bayindir, who joined from Fenerbahce for £4.3m. Ten Hag said he was delighted to secure a player of Reguilon’s quality as an emergency left-back after both Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia were ruled out until November. The 26-year-old, who has also played for Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, trained with United on Friday and Ten Hag indicated he will be available. “He is here, yes,” he said. “He is very experienced player, he has played for big clubs and played a lot of games in La Liga and the Premier League so has a very good background. So he can play very intense football so we are happy. We had a problem with Luke Shaw injured and Tyrell Malacia injured so we covered very well in an emergency situation.” Reguilon, who had been surplus to requirements at Spurs as new manager Ange Postecoglou preferred to pick Destiny Udogie at left-back, said he could not reject the chance to play for United. He said: “In life you have to be ready for everything and the chance to represent this great club with such an illustrious history is one that I could not turn down. Having spoken to the manager, I know what he needs from me, and I am ready to play my part in helping the team to achieve success. I know that I can contribute to Manchester United this season; I am ready to fight for this group and show everyone my qualities.” Ten Hag believes the 25-year-old Bayindir has the potential to improve and was pleased to bring him in, along with Andre Onana and Tom Heaton as one of his three goalkeepers. He added: “He will be in the squad as well so happy with the keeper group, we covered every position so I think we have a very good keeper group with the signing of Altay. We followed him very intensely and we think he has the skills to fit in at Manchester United and fit in at English football so we are glad we signed him. We are confident he will make a lot of progress.” Bayindir could be required if Onana, who has been recalled to the Cameroon squad, plays in the African Cup of Nations in January. Ten Hag added: “I know everything about it, of course we spoke about it. We are in good contact with Andre.” Rasmus Hojlund will be fit to make his United debut at the Emirates Stadium, with Ten Hag saying: “I think he is ready to start.” Read More Transfer news latest: Mohamed Salah bid rejected by Liverpool as Nuno Tavares secures Arsenal exit Rasmus Hojlund fit to make Manchester United debut at Arsenal – Erik ten Hag Man United start deadline day by signing Turkish goalkeeper as Dean Henderson replacement
2023-09-01 23:54
How Ansu Fati's Brighton loan improves Barcelona finances
How Ansu Fati's Brighton loan improves Barcelona finances
With Ansu Fati joining Brighton & Hove Albion on a season-long loan, 90min looks at how the deal could help Barcelona's difficult financial situation in Spain.
2023-09-03 01:29
MLB Rumors: Red Sox-Juan Soto buzz, Cardinals trade brewing, Giants’ bad rep
MLB Rumors: Red Sox-Juan Soto buzz, Cardinals trade brewing, Giants’ bad rep
In today's MLB rumors, Juan Soto and the Red Sox make a good match, the Cards shop some catchers, and the Giants deal with their 'damaged' reputation.
2023-09-27 06:27
Giants pitchers walk 7 in 9-4 loss to Giants that opens doubleheader
Giants pitchers walk 7 in 9-4 loss to Giants that opens doubleheader
San Francisco pitchers walked seven, matching their second-most this season, and the Colorado Rockies overcame a three-run deficit to beat the Giants 9-5 in the opener of a day-night doubleheader
2023-09-17 05:47
MLB Rumors: What I'm hearing about the Yankees, Rangers and Nationals
MLB Rumors: What I'm hearing about the Yankees, Rangers and Nationals
MLB Rumors: What will the New York Yankees do at the trade deadline?At 43-35 and 9.5 games back in the American League East, the New York Yankees are in an interesting position ahead of the July 31 trade deadline.Aaron Judge's toe injury complicates things, especially with both Judge and ...
2023-06-28 03:49
Arsenal give Thomas Partey permission to explore Saudi Arabia transfer
Arsenal give Thomas Partey permission to explore Saudi Arabia transfer
Arsenal midfielder Thomas Partey given permission to explore summer transfer to Saudi Arabia.
2023-06-19 19:57
Harry Maguire calls for Premier League overhaul over 'ridiculous' penalties
Harry Maguire calls for Premier League overhaul over 'ridiculous' penalties
Manchester United and England defender Harry Maguire spoke on officiating controversies and wants Premier League referees to make it harder for teams to be awarded penalties.
2023-11-22 17:53
Xander Schauffele slips back with 73 on a difficult day at US Open
Xander Schauffele slips back with 73 on a difficult day at US Open
Xander Schauffele has run into trouble on the weekend at plenty of majors in recent years, and the 123rd U.S. Open is no exception
2023-06-18 11:46
Jose Altuve injury update: Why was 2B scratched from lineup July 4?
Jose Altuve injury update: Why was 2B scratched from lineup July 4?
Minutes before the Houston Astros opened a two-game set on July 4 against the Colorado Rockies, All-Star second baseman Jose Altuve was scratched.HOUSTON — Just minutes before the Houston Astros opened a two-game set against the Colorado Rockies inside Minute Maid Park, All-Star second bas...
2023-07-05 03:26
'Dialed in' Shelton gets ultimate Djokovic test at US Open
'Dialed in' Shelton gets ultimate Djokovic test at US Open
In a season of firsts for Ben Shelton that began with a quarter-final appearance on his Australian Open debut, the 20-year-old American now faces the greatest challenge of his young career: Novak Djokovic for...
2023-09-07 04:28
Should Tom Aspinall be the favourite against Jon Jones?
Should Tom Aspinall be the favourite against Jon Jones?
When you’ve knocked out the “scariest man in the UFC”, what is there left to fear? Some may offer ‘nothing’ as a valid answer. Some may say ‘Jon Jones’, arguably the greatest UFC fighter of all time. Either way, Tom Aspinall, who was so honest about being scared ahead of UFC 295, believes his fear is his “superpower”. So, maybe fear will inspire Aspinall to a career-defining victory over Jones, or maybe the Briton will realise he doesn’t need to fear the icon at all. Days before UFC 295 – days before his date with destiny at combat sports’ Mecca, Madison Square Garden – Aspinall had this to say of his clash with Sergei Pavlovich: “I’m pretty scared. He’s a scary, intimidating guy.” But? “I do my best work scared. Fear is something I have a really good relationship with. It gives me a superpower – the more scared I am, the better I do in the fight.” And with the interim heavyweight title on the line, and just two weeks’ preparation behind him, Aspinall could not have done better than he did on Saturday. Even when the Wigan fighter was caught clean with a left hook in the opening moments of the co-main event, he stayed calm. Perhaps surviving that shot meant Aspinall’s fear dissipated, or perhaps being tagged like that only augmented his fear. The beauty is that, for Aspinall, either outcome keeps him dangerous, and Pavlovich would find out just how dangerous in the seconds that followed. Aspinall was out of range, surely. But in the blink of an eye, he wasn’t. Closing distance with a spitfire one-two – as only he can – Aspinall had Pavlovich shaking and wobbling, before a short left hook and right hand felled the Russian for good. The hammer fists, all three of them, were to make sure of something that was already certain: Aspinall had ascended, as Britain’s third UFC champion. Then he descended, joining Pavlovich on the canvas, burying his head to hide the tears. “I can’t even tell you, it’s been a crazy two-and-a-half weeks,” he said in the cage, moments later. “Oh, my God. I just want to say to everyone at home: Listen, if you ever get the chance to do something, and you’re scared to do it, you should f***ing definitely do it, because there’s a chance it’s gonna pay off. He’s a big, scary guy. I’ve never been as scared in my life as fighting this guy, but I’ve got a lot of power, too. And I believe in myself, I really believe in myself. I’ve worked so hard over the years.” Aspinall’s hard work has yielded results as terrifying as Pavlovich and the Russian’s own statistics. The Briton is now 7-1 in the UFC, with his only loss coming as the result of an injury 15 seconds into a fight, and his victories all coming in the first and second rounds. Meanwhile, Pavlovich entered his bout with Aspinall with a 6-1 UFC record and all wins via first-round finish; in other words, Aspinall was right to harbour a little fear. Now, however, Aspinall may just be the most fearsome fighter in the division, especially with Jones absent. Aspinall’s clash with Pavlovich came together on two weeks’ notice when the heavyweight champion suffered an injury that derailed his planned title defence against Stipe Miocic – and which is set to keep the former light-heavyweight king out of the ring for up to a year. Still, the UFC’s plan seems to be to reorganise the bout, despite the facts that: Jones may be 37 by the time he returns, Miocic could be 42 by then, and the latter has not fought since he was brutally knocked out by Francis Ngannou in March 2021. Furthermore, Jones’s heavyweight title win over Ciryl Gane in March marked his first fight in three years. Age and activity are working against the Americans, as is apathy; in the aftermath of UFC 295, fans have expressed disinterest in that ‘legacy’ fight, preferring the prospect of a unification bout between Jones and Aspinall. Naturally. Miocic may be the greatest heavyweight of all time, but few were giving him a chance against Jones. While both men have been inactive and ageing, Miocic is the older and less active of the two, and Jones at least impressed with his rapid submission of Gane this year. But to debate how Jones vs Miocic would play out feels very ‘March 2023’. The greater question is how Jones vs Aspinall would play out, and for all of Jones’s feats and accomplishments over the years, the reality is that he would be facing the quickest heavyweight in the sport, who also hits harder than any of the American’s previous opponents, and who is only approaching his prime at 30 years old. Furthermore, Aspinall has the kind of well-rounded skillset that might just enable him to neutralise Jones – or even get the better of him – in any grappling exchanges. Of course, the situation is further complicated by the fact that Aspinall may not want to sit out until Jones returns, while the UFC will also be keen to keep the Briton active. It may mean that Aspinall has to defend the interim title, a rarity in the UFC. That could make for intriguing an match-up between the 30-year-old and Ciryl Gane, Jailton Almeida or even Curtis Blaydes, who picked up a technical win over Aspinall when the latter sustained his knee injury at UFC London in July 2022. At this point, the hope is that all roads lead to Jones vs Aspinall – one of the biggest fights in the history of British MMA. Aspinall has nothing to fear, but then again: A little fear goes a long way for the interim heavyweight champion. Read More Tom Aspinall ‘wants to fight Jon Jones’ next after claiming UFC interim title Tom Aspinall becomes Britain’s third UFC champion with first-round KO of Pavlovich Tom Aspinall admits he’s ‘scared’ ahead of UFC title fight Tom Aspinall makes UFC 295 vow ahead of Sergei Pavlovich fight UFC 295 LIVE results: Aspinall knocks out Pavlovich before Pereira stops Prochazka When will Conor McGregor return to the UFC?
2023-11-13 20:50
Rybakina withdraws from Eastbourne ahead of Wimbledon defence
Rybakina withdraws from Eastbourne ahead of Wimbledon defence
Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina pulled out of the Eastbourne International on Monday due to a viral illness, raising doubts over her defence of the title at...
2023-06-27 02:17