Sportorn is Designed to Keep You Up-to-Date with Everything You Need to Know About the World of Sport.
⎯ 《 Sportorn • Com 》
Rays' Franco breaks up no-hit bid bid by Cubs' Stroman with single in 7th
Rays' Franco breaks up no-hit bid bid by Cubs' Stroman with single in 7th
Wander Franco of the Tampa Bay Rays broke up Marcus Stroman’s no-hit bid for the Chicago Cubs with a single leading off the seventh inning
2023-05-30 04:17
Transfer news LIVE: Mo Salah ‘likely to leave Liverpool’ as Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd chase deadline deals
Transfer news LIVE: Mo Salah ‘likely to leave Liverpool’ as Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd chase deadline deals
Mohamed Salah could leave Liverpool in the closing stages of the transfer window, according to former Premier League midfielder Jan Aage Fjortoft. The club have repeatedly made it clear they do not have the 31-year-old up for sale however with interest coming from the Saudi Pro League, and club Al-Ittihad in particular, a high bid may tempt Liverpool’s ownership into reconsidering their position. Elsewhere, Wolves are closing in on signing Paraguayan winger Enso Gonzalez on a £5m deal as they look to continue their rebuild under Gary O'Neil and Nottingham Forest are in talks over a deal for Fenerbahce striker Michy Batshuayi after the former Chelsea man missed out on a move to the midlands club late on deadline day last year. Meanwhile, Manchester United hope to solve their left-back issue after both Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia sustained injuries. With three days left in the window Erik ten Hag is hoping to bring in a short-term replacement. Follow all the latest transfer news, rumours and done deals ahead of Friday’s deadline below. Read More Football rumours: Chelsea eye late move for Ivan Toney in transfer window Gary O’Neil expects Matheus Nunes to remain at Wolves with no fresh Man City bid Romelu Lukaku, a chessboard and the Jose Mourinho phone call that lured him to Roma
2023-08-30 18:47
American John Isner to retire from tennis after US Open
American John Isner to retire from tennis after US Open
Big-serving American John Isner, preparing for his 17th US Open start, said Wednesday in a social media post that he will retire from professional tennis after the...
2023-08-24 07:47
Gary Lineker responds after ex-Match of The Day host Des Lynam tells him to stick to football
Gary Lineker responds after ex-Match of The Day host Des Lynam tells him to stick to football
Gary Lineker has brushed off criticism from his Match of the Day predecessor Des Lynam who said he should “get on with the football” and stay away from controversial topics outside the game. Lineker, 62, had to “step back” from presenting the BBC’s flagship football show earlier this year until he and the corporation reached an “agreed and clear position” on his use of social media, the broadcaster said. His tweets have attracted controversy while he has been the BBC’s highest-paid on-air talent for the sixth consecutive year and the only star to earn more than £1 million in the year 2022/2023, according to the corporation’s annual report. Lynam, 80, told BBC Radio 4’s Broadcasting House programme: “I like him as a chap, I like him as a broadcaster. But I think there are some areas that he should stay out of. “For example, the last World Cup was in Qatar and he went very, very strongly about the limitations of society in Qatar. And he’s right, there are, but he’s not the person to say it. Get on with the football”. Lineker, a former Tottenham and Leicester striker, later commented: “Des is entitled to his opinion… as, of course, am I.” His response came in a tweet replying to a comment by Adil Ray, the creator and writer of BBC1’s Citizen Khan show. He wrote: “Love Des Lynam but just heard a clip on Radio 4 this morning saying @GaryLineker should stick to football. In 2013, Lynam, still an influential figure, came out publicly as a supporter of Farage and UKIP.” Lineker has tweeted widely about refugees and immigration policy where he has voiced support for a liberal approach to border controls, and he also expressed support for a second EU referendum. During last year’s Qatar World Cup he led criticism of Foreign Secretary James Cleverly for suggesting LGBT+ fans be “respectful of the host nation”. He posted in response to the cabinet minister’s comments: “Whatever you do, don’t do anything gay. Is that the message?” Lineker has been the face of Match Of The Day for more than 20 years but his future at the BBC came under the spotlight in March amid questions about impartiality. He was taken off air by the broadcaster after posting a tweet in which he said the language used by the Government to promote its asylum plans was not dissimilar to 1930s Germany. Lineker missed one edition of the Saturday night show, before returning to his presenting role after a boycott by top on-air talent. Read More Peers to grill BBC bosses about governance following Huw Edwards furore Jeremy Vine agrees deal with Twitter user who wrongly named him in presenter row BBC should ‘stand up for itself more,’ Blair says amid Huw Edwards furore The Huw Edwards affair should remind us we are lucky to have the BBC Gary Lineker remains at top of list of BBC’s highest paid on-air talent Gary Lineker slams Tory MP for ‘outrageous’ Nazi claim comments
2023-07-24 16:46
After blowout win in Denver, Angels acquire Mike Moustakas from Rockies
After blowout win in Denver, Angels acquire Mike Moustakas from Rockies
The Los Angeles Angels acquired veteran corner infielder Mike Moustakas from Colorado moments after their 25-1 victory over the Rockies on Saturday night
2023-06-25 13:52
NFL coverage map 2023: TV schedule Week 12
NFL coverage map 2023: TV schedule Week 12
Week 12 brings Thanksgiving's annual tripleheader to football fans, but what other NFL action will be available in your area?
2023-11-23 04:25
NFL fantasy football waiver wire pickups for Week 5
NFL fantasy football waiver wire pickups for Week 5
Be sure to keep an eye out on your waiver wire this week for these players who are still available in more than 50 percent of Yahoo fantasy football leagues.
2023-10-04 09:26
Gore, Candelario lead the Nationals to an 8-3 rout of the staggering Padres
Gore, Candelario lead the Nationals to an 8-3 rout of the staggering Padres
Left-hander MacKenzie Gore pitched five strong innings against his former team, Jeimer Candelario homered and drove in three runs and the Washington Nationals took advantage of San Diego’s bullpen meltdown to beat the staggering Padres 8-3 to take two of three
2023-06-26 07:58
Harry Maguire resurgence extends ‘ridiculous’ Man United streak but the real test lies ahead
Harry Maguire resurgence extends ‘ridiculous’ Man United streak but the real test lies ahead
As he rose high, demonstrating the aerial power that has made him the most prolific centre-back in English national team history, Harry Maguire’s thunderous header capped a mini personal renaissance that lifted Manchester United off the floor of their Champions League group. There have been times in the last two years when Maguire has felt luckless, but this time fortune favoured him: a status as the match-winner may have been snatched from his grasp when Scott McTominay conceded an injury-time penalty. Yet Andre Onana’s 97th-minute save preserved it. And so the Stretford End ended up singing Maguire’s name. There were twin redemption songs, of the man United signed in the summer and the one they could have sold to West Ham. “Amazing,” Maguire said; he had been a stranger to adulation at Old Trafford. Last-choice centre-back last season, he may now have a run in the team for Erik ten Hag, the manager who stripped him of the captaincy. As Maguire pointed out recently, the numbers support his case. The win percentage he branded “ridiculously high” now stands at 94.1 in his last 17 starts for United: 16 of them have brought victories. There are caveats and the one exception was a traumatic night for him in Seville as United crashed out of the Europa League. They lost on his first three starts for Ten Hag, too. Since then, his status as a back-up has meant he has been spared the tougher tests: he has faced Real Betis, Sevilla, West Ham and Aston Villa, but this season others started against Arsenal and Tottenham, Brighton and Bayern Munich. Arguably, he has not faced an elite team in Ten Hag’s reign. Which, as the Manchester derby beckons on Sunday, may mean Maguire should savour his statistics while he still can. But a personal renaissance has revolved around meaningful contributions, not simply facts and figures. There was the headed assist for McTominay’s 97th-minute winner against Brentford, the man-of-the-match display on his return to Sheffield United and now a Champions League winner against FC Copenhagen. A common denominator may be that each qualifies as relatively limited opposition: United have scarcely dominated against any of them. But if Ole Gunnar Solskjaer miscast Maguire as talisman and captain of United, a willing soul and honest trier has prospered in three successive starts. A run in the side was facilitated first by the absence of Lisandro Martinez, Ten Hag’s chosen upgrade on Maguire, and then all of United’s left-backs, meaning Victor Lindelof was redeployed on the flank. Yet Lindelof began on the bench against Copenhagen, Maguire in the role Ten Hag has long been reluctant to grant him: as a left-sided centre-back. The Dutchman has an innate preference for left-footers there. But he also wants centre-backs who operate higher up the pitch. Maguire was not a natural fit: belatedly, though, he is becoming Ten Hag’s type of defender. “I think so,” he said. “He's playing much more proactive in possession, stepping in, passing vertical, defending also on the front foot, also stepping in, defending forward, very confident in the duels. I think he's dominating in the right moment, putting the question, dominating his opponents. You see he gets rewarded - it's a very good skill from him, his heading, and a very good finish." It was a reward for more than just set-piece expertise. It was Maguire’s prize for obstinacy, for staying when there were reasons to go: that United were reluctant to pay him off may have influenced his decision but he maintained he could win his place back. Ten Hag, too, never forced him out, stripping him of the armband but insisting he remained a valuable squad player. The manager’s position has been nuanced, the defender’s defiant. “This is maybe the most scrutinised club in the world and when you are not quite on your game it gets picked up, it gets analysed,” Maguire reflected. He had a shocking 2021-22 campaign, a bad start to last season. Neither escaped scrutiny. Since then, however, he reflected: “And I am really proud and pleased over the way I have acted over the last six to 12 months.” For now, he has confounded expectations. Stiffer examinations may await, starting with Erling Haaland on Sunday. If he is still in the side, the last five weeks of the year bring Galatasaray, Newcastle, Chelsea, Bayern, Liverpool, West Ham and Villa. They will be the tests if he ranks as a top-class centre-back. For now, though, Maguire is the emblem of this United, labouring to victory with goals from some of their lesser lights. Their last five strikes have come from either McTominay, Diogo Dalot or Maguire. And for the man who has been mocked and maligned, dropped and abused, it was a rare high of late for Maguire. And, whatever his win percentage, there have not been many occasions in the last two years when he was celebrated like this. Read More ‘It was meant to be’: Man Utd dedicate dramatic victory to Sir Bobby Charlton Manchester United vs FC Copenhagen LIVE: Latest Champions League updates Man Utd duo’s heroics offer fitting tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton
2023-10-25 17:22
Newcastle may pursue Ruben Neves even if Premier League block loan deal
Newcastle may pursue Ruben Neves even if Premier League block loan deal
Newcastle United's interest in signing Ruben Neves during the January window may not subside even if the Premier League blocks their plans to loan him from Al Hilal.
2023-11-17 23:57
Nathan Collins ‘100 per cent’ behind under-pressure Ireland boss Stephen Kenny
Nathan Collins ‘100 per cent’ behind under-pressure Ireland boss Stephen Kenny
Nathan Collins has given his backing to under-pressure Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny as speculation over his future mounts. Ireland’s hopes of qualifying for the Euro 2024 finals were dealt a potentially fatal blow on Sunday evening when they were beaten 2-1 by Group B rivals the Netherlands in Dublin on a night when they simply had to win. Kenny, who is contracted until the end of the campaign, remained defiant after the final whistle as his critics sharpened their knives, but Brentford defender Collins is firmly behind the 51-year-old. Asked if he wanted the manager and his staff to stay, he said: “One hundred per cent. “I can’t put into words how much work they put in, every day and every hour, how many hours they watch other teams. Their whole lives have revolved around this week. “He has given me my chance, he has put me in and has had belief in me, he is putting confidence in me and all of them. I can’t speak highly enough.” Kenny replaced Mick McCarthy as manager in April 2020 after stepping up from the Under-21 ranks, and has since blooded a new generation of young players and attempted to play a more progressive brand of football. We can’t just let this now be it. We can’t just let it fade away. Republic of Ireland defender Nathan Collins However, while his team has won plaudits at times, positive results have been hard to come by and a return of five wins from 26 competitive games tells its own story. Defeat by the Dutch left Ireland with just three points from their first five games, 12 adrift of leaders France and six behind both the Netherlands, who have played a match fewer, and Greece. Collins said: “Obviously the table speaks for itself. We need to be proud of ourselves and go into the next game with a bit of pride and make amends for it. “We can’t just let this now be it. We can’t just let it fade away. We put in so much work. We have gotten so close, we might as well carry it on, take that next step to push on and get better and beat teams at home, finish teams off home and away, take our chances, learn from it and build a team who can beat anyone.” This month’s double-header – France in Paris last Thursday evening and the Dutch at the Aviva Stadium – always looked a big ask against teams ranked second and seventh in the world respectively. But where the Republic were beaten comfortably at the Parc des Princes, where they lost 2-0, they led Ronald Koeman’s Netherlands courtesy of Adam Idah’s early penalty and might have increased their advantage before Cody Gakpo levelled from the spot and set the stage for substitute Wout Weghorst to win it after the break. Collins said: “Everyone knows we were close with that performance. Putting in a performance against a top side like that, it’s very frustrating. It’s massively frustrating. “The lads put everything into it, we made them very uncomfortable, but they showed their quality and that is how they got their goal. We should have taken a few more chances in the first half and it would have been a different game. “But honestly, I am proud of that performance. We were good, we were strong, we were set-up well, but we didn’t put our chances away.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Pressure still on Wales despite narrow win over Fiji – Jonathan Humphreys Finn Russell certain Scotland can hit back from opening loss to South Africa Dallas Cowboys send message with dominant 40-0 victory over New York Giants
2023-09-11 16:57
James Trafford tipped to star for Burnley by Joleon Lescott
James Trafford tipped to star for Burnley by Joleon Lescott
Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford can take the Premier League by storm and reach the very top, according to his England Under-21 coach Joleon Lescott. Trafford is in line for a top-flight debut on Friday against old club Manchester City, who allowed him to make the move to Turf Moor last month. While Trafford is only 20 and has never played higher than Sky Bet League One, he starred for England during the summer to earn them European Under-21 Championship glory with a stunning stoppage-time penalty-kick save to deny Abel Ruiz in the 1-0 win over Spain. Lescott was part of Lee Carsley’s staff for the tournament and knows the young goalkeeper from his time as loan manager at City. TNT Sports pundit Lescott said: “James is ready for the Premier League. He is top, he is top with temperament, quality. “I think everyone sees the quality but his temperament is he loves it, but nothing fazes him. He is not bothered by anything. “He said it in his interview after the (Spain) game, that he knew he would save a penalty and I genuinely believe him. In no arrogant way at all, I think he is just so comfortable with his quality. He works extremely hard and is so aware of what it will take to have a top career. “I have no doubt he will reach the very top of the game. “Potentially he ends up back there (at Man City). But James will go on to have an exceptional career.” Asked if Trafford could make his senior debut for England soon if he impresses for Vincent Kompany’s new boys, Lescott added: “Yeah, 100 per cent. Whatever he achieves, touch wood barring any unfortunate injuries, will not surprise me. “I spoke to Vinny before they acquired him and I told him I’ve not seen a keeper that composed at that age, so yeah he’s very good.” Former City defender Lescott is equally enthusiastic about how old team-mate Kompany will fare during his maiden campaign in the Premier League. Kompany and Burnley took the Championship by storm last season, but they are odds-on to return back to the second tier ahead of Friday’s opener. “Vinny will be prepared and nothing Vinny does will surprise me,” Lescott insisted. “He will not leave any stone unturned. I don’t think it’ll be easy, but Vincent is a very impressive coach, a very impressive man, and a very fast learner. “I’m sure he’ll recognise what allows Burnley to stay in the league and try to do that to the best of his capabilities.” The fixture gods have not been kind to Burnley but while it does not get much tougher than hosting the Premier League champions, Lescott feels Pep Guardiola’s side could struggle early on after the high of clinching the treble with a first Champions League title in June. Lescott admitted: “I think the fact that people are just assuming they can do that again, the quadruple and treble, I think it slightly underestimates what they’ve achieved and how hard that is. “That could potentially produce a slower start to the season and (other) teams are raring to go “I’m sure they’re the team to beat and everybody recognises that, but it can take a toll what they’ve achieved.” : TNT Sports is the ultimate home for sports fans. You can stream TNT Sports on the discovery+ app and watch on all major TV platforms. This isn’t Just Sport, This is Everything. For more info visit: tntsports.co.uk Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Premier League looking into ‘historic’ financial issues at Chelsea Premier League may have to scrap mid-season break due to demands of calendar I’ve struggled with the pressure – Katie Archibald misses out on omnium medal
2023-08-10 05:52