Sportorn is Designed to Keep You Up-to-Date with Everything You Need to Know About the World of Sport.
⎯ 《 Sportorn • Com 》
MLS rumors: Nocerino to Miami, Suarez to stay, Chicharito's options
MLS rumors: Nocerino to Miami, Suarez to stay, Chicharito's options
Today's MLS rumors include Antonio Nocerino becoming the new Miami FC manager. Luis Suarez could stay at Gremio and Chicharito Hernández has options across the World.
2023-11-14 03:58
Soccer-Former PSG coach Galtier replaces Crespo as Al-Duhail coach
Soccer-Former PSG coach Galtier replaces Crespo as Al-Duhail coach
Qatar champions Al-Duhail appointed former Paris St Germain manager Christophe Galtier on Thursday after parting ways with Argentine
2023-10-13 01:29
Fox and Telemundo see great ratings for American women, but rest of Women's World Cup struggles
Fox and Telemundo see great ratings for American women, but rest of Women's World Cup struggles
Fans of the United States women’s soccer team remained faithful viewers no matter what hour the game was on
2023-08-05 18:29
MLB Rumors: Rangers surprise, don't sleep on Orioles, Bellinger-Yanks update
MLB Rumors: Rangers surprise, don't sleep on Orioles, Bellinger-Yanks update
MLB Rumors: The Orioles have assets to burnThe Baltimore Orioles window is as wide open as ever. Their time to spend in order to win is now, which is why Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic considers them a potential buyer come the trade deadline, should they choose.O's general manager Mike Eli...
2023-07-11 05:59
Eddie Howe eyes ‘smart’ summer transfers as he gears up for Champions League
Eddie Howe eyes ‘smart’ summer transfers as he gears up for Champions League
Eddie Howe will target quality rather than quantity as he embarks upon a recruitment mission to equip Newcastle for the Champions League. The Magpies booked a return to European club football’s biggest stage on Monday evening when a 0-0 draw against Premier League strugglers Leicester handed them the point they needed to be sure of a place in the top four. That will place fresh demands on a squad which has been boosted by the injection of more than £250million since the club’s Saudi-backed owners took charge in October 2021, but head coach Howe insists there will be no wild spending as he once again looks for astute acquisitions. He said: “We’ve got work to do, we’ve got work to do to be ready, we know that. There’s a big task ahead of us, but I’m confident we can do it. “It’s going to be important for us, we have got to try to get it right and that’s going to underpin our success, really. I think we’ve been really, really good in the three transfer windows so far since I’ve been here. “The challenge gets harder and more difficult because, now we’ve become a better team, there are fewer players who would make us better, so it’s going to be a big window for us. “It won’t be huge numbers – I don’t think it can be. We don’t have the ability to spend the money that people will think we have, so we’re going to have to be smart. “It will be a small group of players, but hopefully ones that can make the difference.” Newcastle last played in the Champions League under Sir Bobby Robson in 2002/03, and repeating the feat was a long-term aim when Amanda Staveley and the consortium she put together completed their takeover, with relegation from the top flight a very real possibility. That it has arrived so soon is testament not only to their financial backing, but to the expertise, attention to detail and intensity Howe and his staff have brought to their task and the ability and willingness of their players to answer every question they have been asked. Howe said: “When I came here, creating history and trying to bring success to Newcastle was very much in our thoughts of what we hoped to do. Hopefully, this is the start for us. To break that monopoly of the top four is so tough, so I think it's a massive achievement for us and we'll look forward to what it brings Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe “You never know what’s around the corner in football, but we’ll try to enjoy the achievement. “We’re going into now an incredibly tough competition, but the best competition that you can be in, so I don’t think the achievement can be underestimated. “It’s a very, very difficult thing to do. To break that monopoly of the top four is so tough, so I think it’s a massive achievement for us and we’ll look forward to what it brings.” For those supporters old enough to remember, qualification will bring back memories of Faustino Asprilla’s famous hat-trick against Barcelona in 1997 and the Craig Bellamy goal which secured a dramatic victory over Feyenoord and a place in the second group stage five years later, and Howe is determined that his team will not simply make up the numbers this time around. Asked about making an impression, he said: “Yes, of course, otherwise all the hard work and effort it’s taken to get there is, I wouldn’t say wasted, but you’ve wasted an opportunity to try to leave a mark and try to make a dent in a competition that is an amazing thing to be part of, so we want to be in it as long as we can.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Spanish police arrest four people after Vinicius effigy was hung from a bridge I don’t know – Lebron James casts doubt on NBA future after Lakers exit finals England boost as Ollie Robinson given all-clear after scan on left ankle
2023-05-23 18:24
Spain players end boycott after seven-hour showdown talks with Football Federation
Spain players end boycott after seven-hour showdown talks with Football Federation
Spain players have ended their boycott of the women’s national team after showdown talks with the Spanish Football Federation (Rfef) which lasted more than seven hours. The squad was named at the start of the week with several World Cup winners included, despite the fact they had publicly stated their intention to not represent the national team following the sexism row which erupted following Luis Rubiales kissing Jenni Hermoso after the final. That fallout of that moment, which outrageously overshadowed Spain triumphing on the biggest stage of all, included the team’s head coach Jorge Vilda losing his job and Rubiales being suspended from his duties by Fifa, though he refused to resign his post initially before succumbing to pressure and exiting. But the issues within Spanish football have not stopped there, with players called up for action after saying they would not make themselves available - though it now appears they have reached an agreement with their FA. “The players have expressed their concern about the need for profound changes in the Rfef (Spanish Football Federation), which has committed to making these changes immediately,” said Spain’s National Sports Council (CSD) president, Victor Francos. “It is the beginning of a long road ahead of us,” Futpro - the players’ union - president Amanda Gutierrez said. “Once again, they [the players] have shown themselves to be coherent, and the vast majority have decided to stay for the sake of this agreement.” A joint commission is to be set up to oversee changes and “follow up on agreements” from the meeting, though it was not confirmed what those agreements were. The now-former Rfef president continued to insist his kiss with Hermoso, one of the team’s forwards, was consensual - but Hermoso rejected that notion and filed a complaint against Rubiales with the state prosecutor, with an investigation for sexual assault now underway. He has also been handed a restraining order, preventing him from being in close proximity to the World Cup winner. Hermoso was not called up to the latest Spain squad, with new head coach Montse Tome saying the national team wanted to “protect” the 33-year-old. Hermoso responded with a question of “from what?” to that claim, saying that the national team call-ups for players who had made themselves unavailable only proved that “nothing had changed” despite Rubiales’ forced exit. Spain face Sweden and Switzerland in the Nations League across the next week or so, with the competition also serving the purpose of qualifiers for the Paris Olympics next year. Read More Jenni Hermoso says Spain call-ups are a ‘strategy of manipulation’ by Rfef Spain plunged into fresh chaos after boycotting women’s players selected to play Jenni Hermoso not included in Spain’s first squad since winning Women’s World Cup
2023-09-20 20:21
3 reasons Corbin Burnes to the Cubs won’t happen, 1 reason it actually could
3 reasons Corbin Burnes to the Cubs won’t happen, 1 reason it actually could
A Corbin Burnes trade to the Chicago Cubs isn't likely by any means, but it's also not an impossibility.
2023-11-26 02:19
Roundup: Dua Lipa Releases 'Houdini'; Joe Manchin Won't Run For Re-Election; MLB Silver Sluggers Announced
Roundup: Dua Lipa Releases 'Houdini'; Joe Manchin Won't Run For Re-Election; MLB Silver Sluggers Announced
Dua Lipa released Houdini, Joe Manchin won't run for re-election, MLB Silver Slugger Awards announced and more in the Roundup.
2023-11-10 20:27
Liverpool suffer blow after Andy Robertson injury update
Liverpool suffer blow after Andy Robertson injury update
Andy Robertson is likely to miss the rest of 2023 as he is set to undergo surgery on his injured shoulder. The Liverpool left-back will sit out Saturday’s Merseyside derby along with November’s trip to champions Manchester City and big December games against Manchester United and Arsenal. Robertson was injured in Scotland’s 2-0 defeat to Spain and missed their 4-1 loss to France on Tuesday. He is also set to sit out their last two Euro 2024 qualifiers, though Steve Clarke’s side have already booked their place in Germany next summer. Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes it is in Robertson’s interest to go under the knife, explaining: “I think we go towards surgery. There is a little chance we could try without but talking to pretty much all experts it looks like surgery will be the best thing, particularly in the long term and that means he is out for a while. In my experience you can train pretty quickly again but not football specific so he will be out for a while.” Kostas Tsimikas, who signed a new contract in September, is likely to stand in for Robertson. The Greece international has only played four minutes in the Premier League so far this season. Joe Gomez and Luke Chambers are other alternatives Klopp namechecked and he added: “We need options and Kostas is definitely the most experienced but he cannot play all the games from now on.” Liverpool will be without the suspended Curtis Jones but Diogo Jota is available again after serving a one-match ban for his red card against Tottenham. Cody Gakpo faces a race against time to be fit after missing the draw with Brighton. The Netherlands forward is back in training. Read More Andy Robertson faces shoulder surgery and long lay-off Goalkeeper Liam Kelly says Scotland debut was “the best moment” of his life How Scotland qualified for Euro 2024 – and why Germany will be different
2023-10-20 21:28
Real Madrid 2022/23 season review: One last ride for Los Blancos
Real Madrid 2022/23 season review: One last ride for Los Blancos
Reviewing Real Madrid's 2022/23 season, with best player, best goal, biggest disappointment & more.
2023-06-07 00:17
Chiefs Rumors: Mahomes shocked by Jones, Brittany Mahomes correction, Karlaftis update
Chiefs Rumors: Mahomes shocked by Jones, Brittany Mahomes correction, Karlaftis update
Kansas City Chiefs Rumors: Patrick Mahomes shocked by Chris Jones holdout, Brittany Mahomes corrects fans on a theory and more.
2023-08-25 22:15
Granit Xhaka hits brace as Arsenal end season with big win over Wolves
Granit Xhaka hits brace as Arsenal end season with big win over Wolves
Granit Xhaka marked his farewell appearance for Arsenal with a brace to help the Premier League runners-up finish their fine campaign with a 5-0 thrashing of Wolves. Xhaka is set to depart the Emirates this summer to join Bayer Leverkusen and signed off a rollercoaster seven years in north London on a high with a first-half double, although he did later miss a great chance for his hat-trick. It failed to spoil the perfect goodbye for the previously much-maligned former Arsenal captain with Bukayo Saka, Gabriel Jesus and Jakub Kiwior also on target to ensure Mikel Arteta’s men regrouped from their title disappointment at Nottingham Forest last weekend to secure a 26th league win of the season. While Xhaka’s impending departure had yet to be confirmed, the huge cheer that greeted his name before kick off played into the narrative this was his final Arsenal outing. It was the latest evidence of his own remarkable turnaround with the Emirates crowd, who he had clashed with so memorable in the winter of 2019 during a match with Crystal Palace – an incident that saw him stripped of the captaincy and on the verge of leaving before Arteta’s intervention. Xhaka immediately set about living up to his lead role with a strong tackle on Matheus Nunes a matter of seconds into the contest. While Nunes saw a fierce effort headed away by Gabriel Jesus during the opening exchanges, it did not take long for Arsenal and their number 34 to open the scoring after 11 minutes. Unorthodox right-back Thomas Partey passed out wide to Jesus and his whipped cross was headed home by Xhaka from close range to begin his farewell in style. After a group celebration with his team-mates, the Swiss international held his hands out in a thank you gesture to the home fans in the Clock End. Three minutes later and Xhaka made it 2-0 to Arsenal. Saka dribbled past Hugo Bueno before Martin Odegaard flicked on his pass, which Wolves captain Max Kilman sliced into the path of Xhaka, who side-footed beyond Jose Sa from six yards. Xhaka celebrated his ninth goal of the season, the best tally of his career, by running over to embrace injured midfielder Mohamed Elneny, the only player still at the club from when he joined in 2016. Arsenal were not ready to take their foot off the gas and Arteta watched his side move into a three-goal lead in the 27th-minute. Odegaard and Leandro Trossard exchanged passes before the latter found Saka, who checked back inside Kilman brilliantly and curled into the corner to mark his new contract with a 15th goal this season. It should have been 4-0 soon after. A one-two between Saka and Odegaard on the right saw the goalscorer scuff an effort across the face of goal, but Xhaka fluffed his lines from 10 yards and sliced wide with a hat-trick at his mercy. Wolves were able to avoid any further damage before half-time and Julen Lopetegui introduced Ruben Neves and Rayan Ait-Nouri but it failed to stem the tide. Partey had the ball in the net for Arsenal in the 52nd minute but his joy was short-lived with the goal ruled out after Ben White had barged into Wolves goalkeeper Sa. The Gunners faithful did not have to wait too much longer for the fourth goal. Arsenal hurt the visitors down the left this time with Trossard able to chip in for Jesus to power home a header at the back post in the 58th minute. All that was left was Xhaka’s farewell with the midfielder substituted to a standing ovation in the 75th minute, which was followed with chants urging him to stay. Kiwior grabbed a fifth with 12 minutes left when he lashed home from a corner that Sa should have saved before Arsenal’s season ended to the backdrop of a partisan atmosphere at a sun-soaked Emirates with the home fans hoping this is just the beginning for Arteta’s young team. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Sean Dyche planning major changes at Everton after avoiding relegation Frank Lampard believes Chelsea standards have slipped as cheerless campaign ends Erik ten Hag backs Man Utd to win FA Cup and end neighbours City’s treble charge
2023-05-29 03:57