
NBA Rumors: 4 untouchable Lakers not named LeBron James
The Lakers have revamped their roster, trading for and developing a slew of cornerstones who could be in L.A. long after LeBron leaves.
2023-08-30 01:50

Eddie Howe backs Newcastle to keep improving after Milan stalemate
Eddie Howe is confident there is more to come from Newcastle after they took a point from their Champions League baptism of fire in Milan. The Magpies found themselves under the cosh at the San Siro on Tuesday evening as they opened their Group F campaign with a tough trip to AC Milan and ultimately emerged with a creditable 0-0 draw. Howe’s team will have to be significantly more progressive than they were in Italy if they are to bank the points they will need to progress, with Paris St Germain and Borussia Dortmund waiting in the wings, but the 45-year-old believes they will be. Asked after the game if the overriding emotion in the dressing room on the final whistle had been exhaustion, disappointment or pride, he said: “It was a mixture of all of those things, definitely pride in the result and the performance, the mentality shown. “Not internally in the squad, the result wasn’t overestimated. They are very honest payers and they acknowledge we can perform better. Yes, a bit of fatigue as well, but we’re now looking forward to our next match. “For us to stand up strong and come back fighting in that second half – because I thought that was a good second half display from us – bodes well for the future. All we can try and do is try and win every game.” But for goalkeeper Nick Pope and a glaring miss from Milan’s Portugal star Rafael Leao, Newcastle could have been in deep trouble by half-time, although having got there on level terms they produced a fine defensive display after the break to plug the gaps through which the Rossoneri had poured during the opening 45 minutes. The mindset was the most important thing. The blocking of the shots, recovery sprints when we are caught out of position was all out of the top drawer Eddie Howe Indeed, they might even have picked the Serie A club’s pocket in stoppage-time when Sean Longstaff forced a fingertip save from substitute goalkeeper Marco Sportiello. Howe said: “There were a few things we changed at half-time. We were looking to tweak a few things. “The mindset was the most important thing. The blocking of the shots, recovery sprints when we are caught out of position was all out of the top drawer, especially when it needed to be in that second half. “We had our moments in transitions going the other way and that’s where the quality was missing, and I’m a little bit frustrated with that. As I say, we will look to improve.” Howe will now turn his attention to Sunday’s Premier League trip to Sheffield United, with opposite number Stefano Pioli, whose side lost 5-1 to derby rivals Inter last weekend, also able to take positives from a display which promised much but did not deliver the outcome he craved. Pioli, who also lost goalkeeper Mike Maignan and midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek to injury, said: “I liked the performance, I liked the attitude. We attacked very well, we defended well, we showed that we were full of energy through the whole 90 minutes. “We were as intense as they were – actually, we were more intense than they were – but we couldn’t win, and that’s a pity. “Now we have to move on. There are very important games in Serie A and then we will have to play against Borussia Dortmund.” Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Football rumours: Ivan Toney targeted for £60m January move by London trio On this day in 2005: Neil Lennon banned after barging referee in Old Firm derby Ireland won’t change approach against South Africa ‘Bomb squad’ – Caelan Doris
2023-09-20 16:17

Luis Rubiales accused of sexual assault and coercion by Spanish state prosecutor
Spanish state prosecutors have accused Luis Rubiales of sexual assault and coercion for kissing a player on the lips without her consent after the Women’s World Cup final, the country’s prosecutors’ office said Friday.Rubiales, the now-suspended president of the Spanish soccer federation, kissed Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the awards ceremony after Spain beat England to win the title on Aug. 20 in Sydney, Australia.Prosecutors presented a case against Rubiales to Spain’s National Court in Madrid two days after Hermoso formally accused him of sexual assault.According to a sexual consent law passed last year, Rubiales could face a fine or a prison sentence of one to four years if found guilty of sexual assault. The new law eliminated the difference between “sexual harassment” and “sexual assault,” sanctioning any unconsented sexual act.Prosecutors added Friday that Rubiales could have committed an act of coercion when, according to Hermoso, he pressured her to speak out in his defense immediately after the scandal erupted regarding his behavior. Rubiales has insisted the kiss was consensual. Hermoso has denied that in statements issued by her and her players’ union.Prosecutors have asked the judge that Rubiales appear before a court to give preliminary testimony.If the National Court judge agrees the hear the case, it would lead to a formal court investigation that will end with a recommendation for the case to either be dismissed or go to trial.Hermoso, a 33-year-old forward, now plays for Mexican club Pachuca after a long career with top Spanish and European clubs, including Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Atletico Madrid. She returned to her Mexican club on Thursday.The 46-year-old Rubiales faces threats other than a possible criminal trial. He was suspended from his post by Fifa on Aug. 27, a day after he refused to step down when he delivered a defiant speech to the general assembly of his federation in which he said he was victim of a “witch hunt” by “false feminists.” Rubiales was banned from his post for 90 days while Fifa disciplinary judges consider his case. Soccer’s governing body can impose sanctions on individuals ranging from warnings and fines to suspensions from the sport.Rubiales also faces action from the Spanish government. A government legal panel overseeing sports has opened a probe to determine if he abused his authority by kissing Hermoso or tainted the image of Spain with his conduct. He faces being deemed unfit to hold his post for up to two years.Rubiales’ behavior at the final, which included a lewd crotch grab while next to dignitaries including Spain’s queen and teenage princess, combined with his controversial speech have tarnished the Women’s World Cup title and damaged his own federation.Spain’s women’s players have said they won’t play again for their nation until big changes are made in the federation. The federation fired coach Jorge Vilda, but the players have yet to say if they consider that sufficient. Read More Luis Rubiales could face criminal charges after Jenni Hermoso accuses Spanish FA president of sexual assault Dear men, a kiss is never just ‘a kiss’ Spanish soccer player Jenni Hermoso accuses Luis Rubiales of sexual assault for World Cup kiss
2023-09-08 20:51

Ex-Brazil boss Tite to coach Flamengo
Former Brazil coach Tite will take over at Flamengo nearly a year after leaving the national side, the Rio de...
2023-10-10 02:21

Max Verstappen on top in wet final practice at Zandvoort
Max Verstappen topped a rain-interrupted final practice session for Sunday’s Dutch Grand Prix. The concluding hour before qualifying was red-flagged on three occasions following a series of accidents in the tricky conditions at Zandvoort. With the session a little more than 10 minutes old, Kevin Magnussen spun out in his Haas at Turn 3, before Zhou Guanyu beached his Alfa Romeo at the penultimate corner. Liam Lawson – the New Zealander making his Formula One debut as a replacement for Daniel Ricciardo who suffered a broken wrist in practice – then performed a pirouette heading into the main straight. Lawson, 21, grazed the tyre wall on the opposing side of the circuit which led to a third stoppage. When the action resumed, Verstappen, who is bidding to equal Sebastian Vettel’s record of nine consecutive victories, set an impressive pace in front of his home crowd. The Red Bull driver finished three tenths clear of George Russell, with the Mercedes driver the only man within one second of Verstappen. Sergio Perez took third spot, one place ahead of Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso with Lewis Hamilton fifth for Mercedes. Qualifying takes place at 3pm local time (2pm BST) with the unsettled weather conditions forecast to continue throughout the day. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live
2023-08-26 19:17

Royals hit 4 homers, beat slumping Astros 6-5 for sweep and 6-game winning streak
Nelson Velázquez hit two home runs and Salvador Perez and Matt Duffy also homered as the Kansas City Royals built a big lead early and held on for a 6-5 win over the slumping Houston Astros Sunday
2023-09-25 05:29

Khalil Mack sets the Chargers' sack record with 6 against the Raiders, his former team
Los Angeles Chargers linebacker Khalil Mack set a franchise single-game record with six sacks in a 24-17 victory over the Las Vegas Raiders
2023-10-02 11:21

Man City into Champions League knockouts as Celtic embarrassed and Shakhtar stun Barcelona
Manchester City duly booked their spot in the Champions League knockout stage after cruising to a 3-0 win over Young Boys at the Etihad Stadium. Erling Haaland’s 23rd-minute penalty sent them on their way and superb strikes from Phil Foden and Haaland again sealed victory over the Swiss side, who had Sandro Lauper sent off early in the second half. Also in Group G, goals from Xavi Simons and Lois Openda proved enough to give RB Leipzig a 2-1 win at Red Star Belgrade, as Leipzig joined City in sealing a last-16 spot with two games to spare. Atletico Madrid served up another Champions League nightmare for Celtic with both Antoine Griezmann and Alvaro Morata bagging braces in a 6-0 win at the Metropolitano. Celtic were left incensed by the sending off of Daizen Maeda after just 23 minutes following a VAR review of his challenge on Mario Hermoso. Atletico’s win moved them top of Group E after previous leaders Feyenoord fell 1-0 at Lazio, for whom Ciro Immobile scored the only goal of the game in first-half stoppage time. The result of the night came as Shakhtar Donetsk delayed Barcelona’s hopes of reaching the Champions League knockout stages after claiming a shock 1-0 win in their Group H clash in Hamburg. Danylo Sikan headed the only goal in the 40th minute from a cross by Giorgi Gocholeishvili, while Shakhtar had a second effort from 18-year-old Newerton ruled out for offside. The defeat ended Barcelona’s 100 per cent start to the group and enabled Porto to pull level on nine points at the top after they beat 10-man Royal Antwerp 2-0. Evanilson’s early penalty and a late strike from Pepe sealed victory for the hosts and left the Belgians, who had Jurgen Ekkelencamp sent off in the 52nd minute, still hunting their first points. Goals from Niclas Fullkrug and Julian Brandt proved enough for Borussia Dortmund to sink Newcastle 2-0 in Germany and move to the top of Group F as Paris Saint-Germain dropped down after a 2-1 defeat at AC Milan, despite former Inter defender Milan Skriniar firing them in front after just nine minutes. Rafael Leao equalised for Milan within three minutes and Olivier Giroud hit what turned out to be the winner five minutes into the second half. Read More John Stones injury leaves Manchester City ‘in trouble’, says Pep Guardiola Newcastle discover brutal truth - it’s so much harder in the Champions League Stones injury dampens Manchester City joy at Champions League progress Erling Haaland back with a bang as Man City cruise into Champions League knockouts Celtic suffer Champions League embarrassment as Atletico Madrid show gulf in quality Eddie Howe knows Newcastle need two wins to keep Champions League hopes alive
2023-11-08 19:49

Paul Finebaum believes Michigan scandal will have obvious conclusion for Jim Harbaugh
ESPN's Paul Finebaum believes this latest scandal surrounding Jim Harbaugh at Michigan will result in him going back to the NFL. This might be his final year in Ann Arbor.
2023-10-21 02:17

French Prosecutors Search Paris Olympic Committee Offices
French financial prosecutors are conducting searches at the headquarters of the Paris 2024 Olympic Committee and the Games’
2023-06-20 19:16

No. 23 Kansas State tries to keep Big 12 title hopes alive with trip to rival Kansas
No. 23 Kansas State will try to keep its hopes of defending its Big 12 title alive when it visits Kansas on Saturday
2023-11-17 00:47

Houston Astros star Jose Altuve reaches 2,000 career hits
Astros star Jose Altuve has reached 2,000 career hits, becoming the third player in franchise history to reach the milestone
2023-08-20 09:52
You Might Like...

Inside the Clubhouse: Buy or sell? What I'm hearing about MLB contenders

Rangers pitching prospect Rocker, twice a top-10 pick, needs Tommy John surgery

Atlanta United technical director Carlos Bocanegra addresses Guzan, Robinson & Almada contract situations

David Raya admits concerns over Brentford price tag as Tottenham talks continue

World number one An caps stunning year with Asian Games gold

F1 23 Monza Setup: Best Italian GP Settings

Angel Hernandez Is Still the Worst Umpire in MLB History

Red Sox put RHP Chris Martin on the 15-day IL with a viral infection